Quick Checklist for Selecting a Great Domain Name
- A .com is the best. Other domain name extensions are gaining popularity, but if you stick with .com you are on solid ground.
- Find keywords in your niche and use variations on those
- Avoid cute, trite and plays on words.
- The shorter the better.
- Do not use numbers because people do not know to use the number or spell it out.
- Select a domain name that is easily remembered.
- Watch out for names that are similar to another established company.
- Do not use hyphens. People do not know to put them in.
- Sometimes you can add a word at the beginning or end to get your keyword included. “The” and “my” before the keyword can work well sometimes, and “store” or “shop” might work after.
- If you do combine words, use words that start with consonants to help with reading the domain name. For example, Prestashop is easier to read compared to Prestaitems.
- A great way to pick an excellent name is to go to LeanDomainsearch.com and follow these directions.
Type in a keyword:
You will get a huge list of names. Note the “Popularity Index” on the lower right. It lets you know if the keyword you chose is a popular term. The list is shown and it is self-explanatory. These are .com domains that are available. If you want to find out how to get that domain name for free, click here.